The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and is one of the oldest continuing historical societies in Melbourne. For over 60 years, the Society has worked with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. The Society is affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria and the Australian Museums and Galleries Association. It co-operates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.
The Society acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our premises are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
Stories They Tell: a history of Kew through objects was launched by the Mayor of Boroondara, Cr Jane Addis at the Kew Court House on 14 September. The book includes 31 specially selected objects from the Kew Historical Society collection, each with full page illustrations, and accompanying ‘stories’ identifying each object’s historic, artistic, research or spiritual relevance to Kew. Copies of the book are available for purchase at a cost of $25. You can view many of the items described in the book in our new exhibition on level 1 of the Court House.
11.00am to 1.00 pm, each Friday
Kew Court House, 188 High Street, Kew 3101
The newly completed tapestries, begun to commemorate the Bicentennial in 1988 are presented in the display case at the south end of the Kew Library. Under the leadership of Jan Walker, the final two tapestries have now been completed and are displayed as part of the series for the first time.