A number of books and booklets about aspects of Kew’s history have been written between 1858 and 2012. Hyperlinked resources are to external websites.
- 1858: Bonwick, A Sketch of Boroondara (State Library of Victoria, PDF 10.8Mb)
- 1910: Barnard, The Jubilee History of Kew (Biostats website, HTML)
- 1960: Vaughan, W.D., Kew’s Civic Century.
- 1960: Kew Historical Society, City of Kew Centenary 1860–1960, PDF 2.3 Mb)
- 1961: Rogers, D, Lovely Old Homes of Kew (State Library of Victoria, PDF 8.5Mb)
- 1973: Rogers, D, A History of Kew.
- 2012: City of Boroondara: Thematic Environmental History (City of Boroondara, PDF 5Mb)
- 2019: Kew Historical Society, From Municipality to City: Chairmen and Mayors of Kew 1861-1994.
- 2022: Kew Historical Society, Stories They Tell: a history of Kew through objects.
- 2009: Barnard, J., Boroondara’s Yesterdays: A history resource kit for middle years students in the City of Boroondara
Articles & Reports
Articles written by our members about aspects of history and heritage are included in the History section of this website. Heritage reports commissioned by the City of Kew, and subsequently by the City of Boroondara, can be found on the Council’s website. They are listed on the Building & Planning Department’s Completed Heritage Studies page. Reports for Council include:
- City of Kew Urban Conservation Study (1988)
- Review of B-graded Buildings in Kew, Camberwell and Hawthorn (2009)
- Assessment of Heritage Precincts in Kew (April 2013)
- Kew Junction Commercial Heritage Study (2014)
Files useful for researchers that have been developed over tme by the Kew Historical Society can be accessed on the Research Areas page.
Return to Research