The collections of the Kew Historical Society include bound and unbound archives, audiovisual materials, books, costumes & textiles, maps, and pictures, These are kept in our collection store in the southern section of Kew Library and at the Kew Court House. Items in our collection have been donated by members and friends of the Society over a sixty-year period. For information about donating items to the Society, please access our Donating Items page.
We aim to regularly highlight items from the Collection. This item is relevant as it is anticipated that the History of the Kew Senior Citizens Club will be published this year. The framed photograph shows the opening of the Club rooms at South Esk in 1956.
A Significance Assessment (2018) (PDF, 1MB) of the Society’s collection was funded by the National Library of Australia in 2018. While the entire collection was viewed, the consultant’s report concentrated, at the Society’s request, on the framed photographs in the civic collection, on costumes, and maps and plans. Separately, a number of items have been designated as Treasures of the collection by the Management Committee.
Following the success of the Significance Assessment in 2018, the National Library has funded a Preservation Needs Assessment of our collection. The assessment will be carried out by consultants from Grimwade Conservation Services in 2020.
In 2019, the Kew Historical Society was declared by the Victorian Government a Class-B Place of Deposit for Government Records. Many of the items in our Civic Collection derive from donations made by the former City of Kew, many of which are classified as Government Records. Most of these, and indeed other items in the collection can be viewed by appointment. Items which we have digitised can be accessed at the Kew Historical Society’s section of Victorian Collections.